USA and Canada 2018: Treasures of the Yucatan Summer 2018
Brochure Type: USA and Canada 2018
Delve into the soul of the ancient Mayans. Cities of stone, the landmarks of Chichen Itza and Edzna now abandoned and creeping through the dense rainforests of the Yucatan-home to sun, sea and the glories of an ancient civilisation which once ruled Central America then mysteriously disappeared.
- City tour of Valladolid, Merida
- Cruise the lagoons and canals of Celestun
- View the Paseo de Montejo
- Visit Ek Balam, the colonial jewel of Izamal, Campeche, Edzna, the Mayan Ruins of Uxmal, Chichen Itza, Cancun
- 7 full breakfasts
- 4 lunches
- 2 dinners (including Be My Guest)
- Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Daily breakfast and an average of 50% of evening meals
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Cherry-picked hotels all tried and trusted
- Hand-picked Insider Experiences
- Optional Experiences and free time
- All porterage and local charges included
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- An expert Travel Director and separate Driver
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday
- VIP entry to many sights
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 6/30/2018
- 8 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Cancun||Arrive Cancun: Bienvenidos a Mexico. Your journey begins with a warm greeting at the airport from a local host and a private transfer to the hotel. Gather at 7 p.m. to meet your Travel Director and fellow travellers for a Welcome Reception.Welcome Reception|
InterContinental Presidente Cancun Resort
|Day 2||Merida||Cancun - Ek Balam - Valladolid - Izamal - Merida (2 Nights): Begin your exploration of the Yucatan Peninsula with a visit to the great Maya acropolis at Ek Balam. The ruins here provide a window into the Mayan soul, with elaborate statues and grand architecture surrounded by a plethora of vegetation. Then it's on to Valladolid, the Yucatan's first capital, for lunch at a local restaurant and a stroll around its convivial central square. Next, visit the colonial jewel of Izamal with its yellow buildings glowing in the tropical sun. Visit the Franciscan Monastery before ending your day in "The White City" of Merida, one of Mexico's loveliest colonial cities.Full Breakfast, Lunch|
InterContinental Presidente Merida
|Day 3||Merida||Celestun Excursion: Visit Celestun UNESCO Biosphere Reserve where you'll travel by small boats through the lagoons and canals into protected wetlands to spot the local colony of pink flamingos. Relax during lunch under the palm-thatched roof of a local beach restaurant and enjoy some free time. This evening, gather for a Be My Guest experience hosted by Chef Don Miguel in the Chaya Maya Mansion kitchen. Upon arrival, you are greeted and served a welcome cocktail symbolic of the region, the "Mayita", or Margarita de Chaya. Learn about the dishes that you'll be making and sampling today, including the traditional processes with a modern twist used in their preparation.Full Breakfast, Lunch, Be My Guest Dining|
|Day 4||Campeche||Merida - Campeche: Immerse yourself in the history and passion of colonial Mexico in Merida today. View the Paseo de Montejo lined with beautiful Spanish mansions. Visit the Merida Museum. See the glories of the city as you venture around the Central Plaza, the ornate Casa Montejo, the massive Cathedral and the Palacio del Gobierno with its remarkable collection of murals. Continue on to Campeche. Stroll from the magnificent Puerta de Tierra-the main entrance to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Campeche's fortified old city-to the Puerta del Mar, which opens up to the Gulf of Mexico. The evening is yours to enjoy one of the many delicious local restaurants on your own.Full Breakfast|
|Day 5||Uxmal||Campeche - Edzna - Uxmal: Travel to La Ruta Puuc for a further taste of Maya history and culture. Inhabited as early as 400 BC, the abandoned city of Edzna now reveals its secrets to modern-day visitors. Your Travel Director's intimate knowledge of its fascinating history brings the ruins to life. A special treat awaits you at a Regional Meal lunch featuring Yucatecan specialities of pollo and cochinita pibil (chicken and pork wrapped in banana leaves and smoked underground). End the day at your historic hotel.Full Breakfast, Regional Meal|
Hacienda Uxmal Plantation and Museum Authentic Accommodation
|Day 6||Chichen Itza||Uxmal - Sotuta de Peon - Chichen Itza: Few sites reflect the glories of Maya architecture better than the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Uxmal. From the Governor's Palace to the majestic Pyramid of the Magician, you'll be guided through one of the best-preserved ceremonial centres of any Maya city. At the living history museum of Hacienda Sotuta de Peon, step back in time to the age of the haciendas. Learn about the Cultural Insight of henequen (sisal fiber), the green gold of the Yucatan during the colonial era. Visit the main house and the still-active processing plant. Ride a picturesque mule-drawn rail cart out to one of the cenotes (natural wells) that dot the Yucatan countryside. Later this afternoon, travel to your hotel ideally situated next to Chichen Itza, the most famous Mayan archaeological site. Enjoy the evening at leisure to relax on the shaded terrace or cool off in one of the pools.Full Breakfast, Lunch|
Mayaland Authentic Accommodation
|Day 7||Cancun||Chichen Itza Sightseeing - Cancun: Rise early and be the first visitors as you take advantage of your hotel's own private entrance to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Chichen Itza. Under the expert guidance of your Travel Director, explore the imposing El Castillo (The Castle), flanked by the Temple of the Warriors and the great Ball Court, the largest of its kind in Central America. This afternoon, return to Cancun to enjoy some free time by one of the hotel's pools or at the beach. Tonight, celebrate your Yucatan adventure at a lively Farewell Dinner.Full Breakfast, Farewell Dinner|
InterContinental Presidente Cancun Resort
|Day 8||DEPART CANCUN||Depart Cancun: Bid adios to your newfound amigos as you transfer to Cancun International Airport for your flight home or choose to extend your stay in Cancun.Full Breakfast|
- Crossovers: All 2017 departure dates will operate as per the 2017 brochure. Itineraries, durations, hotels and inclusions may vary. Please inquire at the time of booking.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class
From $1,725.00 (USD)
Tour Type: Country ExplorerBrochure Type: USA and Canada 2018Delve into the soul of the ancient Mayans.